Monday, June 16, 2008

Inspired by Beryl Taylor









One of my art groups (The Artists Circle) is doing a workshop on BT's techniques and this week and last we did discharging and paper fabric. These are the results of my efforts. Blogger has decided on the order, not I. The 1st, 2nd, and 7th are the Tyvek pieces, the 5th and 6th are the cotton paper fabric, with the 3d and 4th being the velvet.
I didn't have the required cotton velvet for the discharge, only a little silk velvet remnant, so couldn't use the bleach method of discharge. I did have Jacquards discharge paste which is much gentler on the fabric (smells better too). The midnight blue turned a pinkish gold, very pretty. To activate the paste you must apply heat, I used an iron and the resulting shine on the velvet looks really great.


The fabric paper was on both a cotton fabric base and Tyvek base, 2 each. The smaller Tyvek bit had no tissue paper applied to it, and was heat distressed to be a control for the papered piece. The tissue paper really didn't shrink much at all, just wrinkled. Both the front and back of the papered piece were pretty enough to photograph. It was painted on both sides, papered with white sparkly tissue paper then painted again. Whew, what fun! Now, what do I do with the samples....

8 comments:

Kim said...

yep , gotta love Blogger. Or move to Typepad , one of them. . .the ws pieces are awesome though , I'm Lovin them! I actually found myself scrolling up and down trying to figure out how I'd put them together and what I'd try next lol! Do you have plans?

mary schweitzer said...

These are great! Tyvek is fun stuff.
Mary

~*~Patty S said...

Wonderful pieces! I Love BTaylor's book and enjoyed her class this year at A&S SO much. She's a Lovely lady, very sharing and of course extremely talented.

Kim said...

Those are beautiful. What do you plan to do with them?

Kim x

Kim said...

Hmmm, I like the idea of a large wall hanging, maybe in the style of a patchwork quilt?
I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Kim x

Connie said...

The tyvek pieces are terrific, but my favorites were the velvet discharge. really lovely!

Eastjewels said...

Well, well, well...these are great. You and that Christy are Beryl Taylor's #1 fans and your pages are just beautiful. Some times even with backgrounds I love them so much I have to live with them for a while, just to enjoy them the way they are before I can use them in a piece of work. Christy sent me one of hers and I can't bring myself to cut it...You are so talented and inspirational.
Linda (Okla)

Val Foster said...

These are so very cool! I love BT's book and technics. I especially love your fabric paper, and want to try that soon. I have her book on hold from the library and am waiting for it to come in so I can try the fabric paper.

I tried the Tyvek technic not long ago which was featured in Sherill Kahn's Embellishment book. It came out cool, and I want to make more of them. And try some other technics in her book.

Good for you for trying these technics. Thanks for posting your results.

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...