Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Apparently I live in.....

Brigadoon!


 The mist was rising slowly, revealing the hills and dales of the South Mountain Range.  Each sunrise is a wonder, even grey and rainy days.  It’s amazing how much lovelier the countryside is than the crowded, overpeopley area I came from.  There must be beautiful sunrises there too, but I never saw one in amongst the buildings and noises.  I have waited way too many years to come home.  


I discovered a wonder today.  Off season, there aren’t as many people working at the smaller farm stands, and my favorite one, the one that has the Best Eggs Ever, was not staffed when my dh stopped in for eggs. On the counter was a box with money in it and thank you written on it, and it was self service.  Having spent the last 25 years in suburban hell, it was a joy and a pleasure to see trust in our neighbors.  After he had paid the owner bustled in with produce, unworried over the money.  In northern VA someone would have taken everything portable, including the money box.  I live amongst humans again!  


It is much too rainy to make bread today, and we finished our loaf this morning (good pain d’or) so I stopped in to a larger farm stand.  Really a sort of farm type convenience store.  As I was leaving with tonight’s soup and bread, the clerk stopped me and asked if I was a veteran.  When I responded yes, ten years in the best Navy worldwide, she handed me a bag with a half dozen apples and chocolate!  A material “thank you” indeed.  



The leaves are about down now, and I can see South Mountain through them.  This is the view out my sewing room window.  The shed we are using for storage, but will be used for dyeing fabric and yarn too. I have a lovely camp kitchen inside just waiting for a propane stove and hanging racks.  I can’t wait! It’s been far too long since I’ve spun and dyed and woven.  





 

1 comment:

Donna said...

What a heart-warming read....so happy for you that you are back home! Your landscape is amazing and you are truly blessed. I look forward to seeing what come out of the dye pots from your work place...Donnw

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...