Saturday, November 28, 2020

Thoughts on Living My Dream


 This view out my window was so gorgeous I wanted to catch it to be able to see again and again.  About a millisecond later, this was my view...


 
Rufio  is my soul cat, and can’t stand to see a camera pointed somewhere other than him!  In fact he is so jealous, if I call another cat, pet another cat, or snap a picture of another cat, he is there quite suddenly, winding sinuously around my ankles.  Me, Mommy?  Me too?




On my walk this morning, I went a bit farther into the woods, and found a great big log section that will be perfect for a table in my to be completed sitting area.  It was hard going for me, I’m glad I took my walking stick.  My two new knees were performing admirably, but my back made everything harder.  Just two more weeks until the, hopefully, second surgery, and then the work of recovery, and then, I hope, normalcy.  Well, as normal as this year can be.  

We had moths in our old place, just one of the many issues that plagued us there.  A very old, very loved hat was one of the casualties.I had to throw out so much wool.  The hole mending was put on hold so as to get better set up in our new home, and somehow it was tossed in the washer!  Oh no, must fix holes!  So I got a little ball of some of my first spinning, and filled the holes.  A little fulling and it will be fixed....
The sun is setting earlier each night, laying its course to the winter solstice.  Each time is rises and each time it sets it slides a little further south for the rising sun, and north for the setting.  I wonder how people, long long ago saw the suns progression. We know they tracked it...not just in the Iron Age, or Bronze, but back into Neolithic time as well.  In Pennsylvania we have one of the oldest sites of human habitation in North America as well as some fascinating petroglyphs and stone stacks, all of which have representations of solar and lunar activity.   I think it must have been comforting to have a stable schedule, a calendar if you will.  It must have been frightening if it deviated. So much depended on the sun.  And the moon....but that is for another post.

1 comment:

Morning's Minion said...

We are so accustomed to thinking that the sun rises in the east; this yearly winter shifting to the south always takes me by surprise. I've often wondered how long ago people were able to measure that exact slight change of the winter solstice.

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...