Thursday, December 3, 2020

A Cold and Cloudy Day


The day began with heavy, grey clouds obscuring the sunrise...except for one small sliver of vibrant coral and gold beyond my neighbors house.  After getting the paper I scurried back inside and put the coffee on to warm me up.  I figured a nice little fire was warranted, so laid one and lit it.  There was no wind outside, always a little challenging to get the box warmed without smoking up the house!  I finally got it though, and oh the warmth!
The coals, of course, invited me to find a bag of marshmallows from the early fall bonfires, only a little crusty, and roast them a rich golden brown before sliding them off the fork and popping them in my mouth.  The sweetness and warmth were perfect.  
And then the snow came, the wind picked up and the flakes persisted until the grass and leaves on the ground were crusted with snow.  The moon, later on, limned each leaf, each branch, with an silver glow that was startlingly bright.  
Inside, warm and dry, I dosed in my chair.  Pippin and Strider were snuggling on the loveseat, and as I lifted the phone to capture their sweet pose, Pippin awoke and looked at me accusingly.  I swear he can hear me change my breathing.  Candid photos are hard to achieve with such vigilance!

4 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Looks cosy at your home (pets make the home I think), noticed your blog whilst hopping - it's fun to see what people are doing in other parts of the world :)

Kim said...

So true! Thanks for stopping by, I too sometimes randomly find blogs.... some are terrific!

Kim said...

Betty, I can’t seem to leave a message on your Wood Elf blog! I’ll try again, but it’s wonderful!

Kim said...

Woof Fairy! Not Elf.....

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...