Tuesday, February 3, 2009



This is the second teacozy sample for my class... I like the final result well enough but, my, it was a long process. I started by overlaying three cotton fabrics with aqua and bronze organza, and stitching them down (raw edged) with handstitching. I also stitched a spiral, a moon and stars. Afterwords, I used Shiva oilsticks to add color over the stitching. I really didn't like the color much, and decided to use a soldering iron to burn away the organza to de-emphasize the color, and add texture. I had added the lining, but I still didn't like the color where it lay on the spiral and crescent. I ended up adding several layers of fabric over the spiral and moon, and then beads at the tips of the stars arms as well as the appliques. The stitching and beading was done after the lining, and it was really hard to do. Iended up stitching through fold and all, and I am thinking about relining it, but not until after the class. It can serve as a "don't do it this way" lesson. Sigh.

4 comments:

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

It certainly looks wonderful and beautiful to me!

Woolly Bits said...

Kim, I liked the cottage cozy, it looks fun - but this one is really beautiful! and thanks for the daily dog link - my son (11) is on the hunt for more dog pix all the time:))

mary schweitzer said...

I really like this! The colors are wonderful. And the hard work you put into it shows in the end product!
Mary

Zeborah Loray said...

Lovely. I have o tea cozies.
that should be remedied. I do have a small collection of teapots.

I think you are going to talk me into rummaging through all of my fabric and sewing supplies...