Sunday, March 29, 2009











Ah it is a tiring life,

being the rodent and insect controller for a whole household! Though if a rat appeared, I am not sure what Trouble would do. When faced with a squirrel up close and personal, he looked... astonished!

The day began very foggy, and threatened rain all day but except for a little spattering on my drive home, never developed. Tonight though, it should rain good and hard. Since we need it, I can't complain, and since it is coming at night, even better. Spring is in sight, and there's warm days acoming. Too warm, before too long, I imagine.

I got lots of spinning done this weekend, though I won't say much for the quality. I wasn't necessarily trying for even thread, but I would like it to hold together. Some of the stretches are pretty thin, but most of that should be evened out by Navaho plying ...plying onto itself through a loop. This plying style yields a three ply yarn, a wonderful yarn for socks since the 3 plys make the yarn symetrically smoother than 2 plys. I am not too unhappy with it, since it has been years since I spun cotton, and I only ever spun cotton a tiny bit anyway. Can't get better without practice.

I have been reading my BIL's new novel, about paleogenetics, sort of. Well, it is an action story, with a little love story and some (easy to swallow) science, and a little mystery too. A rollicking good read!

I have also been sewing this weekend, and will post a pic when I am done. I have a couple of garments on line, and a stuffie too. I went thrifting, and got a wool blanket in a pretty shade of rose for $4! Nicely felted too! There just aren't enough hours in the day, or enough days in the weekend to do everything!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

It all sounds like a lovely way to spend one's time!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Hello Kim ~ it's been too long! I can just see you at your spinning wheel. Your uneven yarn sounds extra special to me! Your guard kitty is very sweet!
The lilacs are fattening up with leaves unfurling, I love the weeping willow leaves this time of year, such a tender green....ahh spring!
All the best to you and yours! oxo

Kim said...

Your little cat looks so comfy on that blanket. Is the blue fibre the denim? It's a lovely colour. I know what you mean about blogging taking up so much time. I've had to slow down a bit and actually get some of the things done that I want to write about!

Merlin is coming along very well and is enjoying his training. He's almost stopped biting me too. Thank goodness for small mercies :)

Kim x

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...