Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Middle Ages, housing




There is a wide variety of domiciles at Pennsic, ranging from common dome tents to perminent structures, from truly primitive to outrageously luxurious! Some are rebuilt on site every year, like Casa Bardicci (at least I think that is how it is spelled) and takes 1 1/2 weeks to set up, and some stay all year and are just hauled out by tractor from the storage area. I take a wonderful "A" shaped tent (called a geteld) that I made myself, andd it goes up very easily every year. I rent a modest storage shed so I don't have to drag everything back and forth each year. Some folks fly in and have little more than their clothes, and some have large yurts or trailors that have a skin on top to disguise their modern looks. One group of Romany (gypsies popularly but incorrectly) brings life size wooden horse profiles made from plywood, and then carry them around the site, making clipclopping sounds ala Monty Python! As a whole, we have a somewhat warped sense of humor!






























































2 comments:

Yarrow said...

Fantastic pictures, Kim, I'd love to go and stay there :)

kx

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

fantastic indeed, the group pic is WOW ... what a magical and wonderful time this must be

I just returned from a day at The Waterford Fair today and my head is reeling!

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...