Friday, June 8, 2012

June is the Month of Mint

 It is time to make the annual batch of sekanjabin!  It is my favorite summertime drink, and I take it camping every summer to my medieval living history trip.  Much better than soda or tea, and tastier than plain water, it is super refreshing.
Sekajabin has many different variations.  More than I knew, and speaking with the Afghan and Persian women in my store have opened my eyes to more. It's origins are way back in the past, probably in the middle eastern region, though the west had a similar drink made with honey instead of sugar.  Has to do with the climate!  

 I began with a simple plain version, just sugar, water, vinegar, lemon and mint.  I will try other versions too, adding saffron, pomegranite, cinnamon and cloves.  Not all in the same batch!

Sekanjabin
1.25 cups water
2.5 cups sugar
.33 cups of white wine, rice, or    cider vinegar
1 lemon
double handful of mint


Bring the sugar and water to a boil, add the vinegar and lemon and let boil gently for 1/2 hour.   Bruise and add the mint leaves, and remove from heat.  When it is cool, strain into a glass jar and seal.  Doesn't need refridgeration, and will stay good for months... if you don't drink it first.

To use, dilute 3-5 TBSP of syrup in a tall glass of ice water, or iced soda water.  Sit outside and sip a little summer sunshine. 






No comments:

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...