Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Have Had Such A Craving....

So I decided to indulge it, and make berry hand pies.  Yum.  So I looked around the internet and didn't find exactly what I wanted, and went with what I had...
I took 12 oz of blackberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, and mixed it all together, crushing the berries as it said to do in several of the posts.  LOTS of juice.  I had Pillsbury frozen pie dough, so I cut it into four wedges.  I beat an egg with a little water to seal and glaze them.  Ready. 
Well, let me tell you, it was a lot messier than the photos show.  I couldn't get the juices under control, no matter what I did, but finally decided that painting the edges with egg first, then plopping berries centrally, quickly flipping shut and pressing with a fork was the least juiciferous way to achieve my goal.  Most looked like the second photo of the wedges.  Two were pretty neat and tidy.  Then I slashed, glazed with the egg and water, and popped them in the oven at 350f  for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile I melted a couple tablespoons of butter, and mixed in powered sugar and milk until it looked right for an icing glaze.
 Buzzz went the timer, out came the pies, and on went the glaze.  I waited 5 whole minutes, then transferred them to a cooling rack.  I broke one, it wasn't my fault, I had to eat it.  Really.  Yummm.

No comments:

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...