Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Borealis

This is a teaser for one of the projects I am currently working on, and its FUN!
Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America! A small group of women thought it would be fun to do a quilt challenge based on that, so they agreed to choose one of the 320 songs the Beatles recorded as a group, and use the title as inspiration for their quilts. Well, that small group of five has grown to well over sixty! The quilts will be displayed at the Quilt show in Hampton Roads next year, and there is chatter of a book. I have the first bits done on mine, and much work to do yet.
I chose a little known song whose name instantly put a picture in my mind... It is called Only A Northern Song and while the song itself is of little consequence, the mental image is lovely. I can't wait to work on it when I get a chance, though I am also trying to get a norse hat done by tonight. I figure I may need it! Of course, if it is done, the snow won't materialize, but I can always hope.
I must say, I have become a real fan of the Superior line of metallic threads... I used two others, and had real shredding issues every few inches, to the point I called our Bernina Head and threatened suicide, but when I changed to Superior, the problems melted away. I wouldn't have thought it would be so dramatic. There are organza, dupioni,Angelina Fibers, Shiva oilsticks and foiling involved too. Not your granny's quilt!

No comments:

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...