Friday, November 27, 2020

Walking Through The Woods on Thanksgiving





 Today I walked a different path than most days, I took a somewhat dubious trail through the woods along and behind my house.  There were lots of deciduous trees and a few pines and firs, and surprisingly, a small fort built with four pallets!  Very industrious, someone was.  I’m not certain if they’re on my property, we have to get a surveyor out anyway, but I can’t tell if it’s in use or not.  Kids I don’t mind, but I don’t want someone lighting a fire there, for instance.  I’ll see if my neighbor or his kids might know the story.  


I also found tree bits with moss and lichens on them, the kind of lichens you can use for natural dyeing, pine cones and a birds nest on the ground, plus several in the trees.  Maybe a squirrel nest too!  But most exciting we’re three turkey hens just walking along, ambling around, and gobbling.  Not particularly scared of me but when I tried to get a photo, by the time I got my phone out again, they were just dots against the trees, not worth snapping the picture.






Over it all, loomed South Mountain, hovering protectively like a huge hen over her tiny chicks....I feel better knowing the mountain is there-  














2 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

I miss having a 'real' woods for walks--our property is rimmed on three sides with steep ravines, covered in trees and brambles. Lichens, moss, cones, etc are always fascinating for their textures and shapes.

Kim said...

Yes, I love them!I do dye with them, but they’re just plain interesting too. Do the brambles at least give you berries? That might make it worthwhile.

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...