Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Saint Brigid’s Day Snow

We had a pretty good snow a week before Christmas, but this time, the snow was a good 12 inches. The wind was not really strong, but almost constant, so drifts formed and moved as the winds shifted from the normal NW to the nor’easter that swept in on Monday night.  We didn’t get the worst of it by a long shot, but it was certainly enough for me!  I love snow, though right now it’s tough getting around in it.  I’ll take a walk this afternoon and see what’s going on in the back woods. 








The snow began and after getting the small compost bin emptied into the large one by the garden, and refilling the bird’s food, I headed indoors to...no surprise....bake!  



Sourdough crackers seemed a good idea, and I readied the spices for a toddy or two.  Sadly, no cider in the house.  




Little birdie feet let us know they we still looking for more, so I put out another suet.  They’re happy!




I could still get out to the wood pile, but we’d already brought three or four days worth into the garage.  


No filter on this, the light was very blue as the day went on.  




Out back the coming sunset kept the light more normal, and showed us the birds approved of my shifting the ground feeders shelter to protect from the wind.  


Sunset was not spectacular but the break in the clouds was perfectly timed!  After dusk, the clouds rolled back in and the snow not only returned, but brought its friend, sleet, along.  Our neighbor borrowed our snowblower and shovel to get their truck out of the way, and out came the front loader,,,three young men, and their parents, made short work of clearing the drive we share.  God has given us wonderful neighbors in every place we’ve gone.  Before our health declined, we also went out and cleared neighbor’s drives, but now we must learn to receive.  Sometimes it’s hard, especially for dh whose always been the protector, the provider, the strength.  He is a sheepdog in a world of sheep and wolves.  I too have that nature.  Letting others do for me is not easy.  So, of course, I baked a chocolate pudding cake to give them.   They are my only neighbors for a half mile or more on either side, and I treasure them.  


The day ended with a lovely fire and a glass of mulled rum.  I felt warm inside and out.  I am blessed.  

4 comments:

Michelle said...

We have wonderful neighbors, too; truly a blessing to have them!

Elderberry-Rob said...

It looks challenging where you live, good to know you can rely on your neighbours - your end of day looked cosy and warming. We live in an estate with a house every 3 feet, 30 to a road, so many neighbours - in the Summer we have an annual bbq and all get together in the road; during the first lockdown we were out out in our gardens every thursday night clapping for the NHS and last night we did so again for Captain Tom, that wonderful 100 year old man who passed away; who raised funds for our NHS by walking round his own garden. We all felt connected and sad, together - even though we were distancing so didn't speak - only clapped and waved to each other. We are so lucky to have such a community and reading your post, where it's half a mile to humanity, made me realise how living in a 'built up' area at times like this is something I can be grateful for.

Kim said...

Betty, everywhere has its good and bad points, for sure. My last house was a town house, two hundred people just on our street.... I hated it! So when we retired to our forever home, self sufficiency and lots of land was my goal. Good neighbors are important to, and we certainly lucked out in that department!
It can be challenging, but I love a good challenge! I am an introvert so not having to “people” like I have had to all my working life, was actually a bonus for me. My extrovert husband actually looks forward to grocery shopping! It works out. I think everyone ends up where they belong.

Kim said...

Michelle it really is. And honestly, we been very blessed in that, and not just here but in most places we’ve lived. Of course the military family is a whole other ballgame... everyone pretty much has your back.

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...