Sunday, March 14, 2021

Busy on the (Tiny) Small Holding

I got the first of the raised beds up, and planted with frost Hardy seedlings.  I’ve never grown anything from seedlings, so this is an adventure.  
Then it was indoors to try making sausage for the first time!  I think they turned out pretty good!  We have a wonderful butcher about six miles away who buys local meats and man, they are good.  But I like to get as far into the making food process as is practical.  There’s a woman down the road that sells goats milk, and I love it, but I seem to be the only one in my house who does.  ðŸ˜•



These are the chickens whose eggs I eat, and they are the best, and freshest I’ve ever had.   They are Easter egg colors, and so feed both taste and sight.  I look forward to adding chickens here at Bag End, but I must be patient.  In the meantime, breakfast is a happy time!



I’ve been working on enlarging the fire pit so I can have a bigger fire, more people, and fit a small oven next to the wonderful tripod/spit that Red Oak Forge made for me.  


Last evening I roasted the first of many chickens on the spit, and ate like royalty!The wind was so strong though that I had to lower the spit way down and keep the fire really built up rather than just cook with the coals.  Turned out great though, so, okay.  


Dinner tonight was a simple chicken and veggie soup, southern style cornbread, and good conversation with G2.  What more could I want? 



As evening settles like a shawl over Stone Mountain, I am content and warm, full and happy.  I most certainly live in paradise, and look forward to what each day brings.  God has been good to us.  



 

2 comments:

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...