Monday, December 28, 2020

Winter Skies at Dawn

The sun's rising is not dramatic this time of year.  Often only gentle colors light the predawn sky, and the sun is lost in fog or clouds...Today the predawn sky showed only a small band of salmon and gold, but as the disk itself rose above the horizon, the drama was immediately visible in the bands of light on the trees behind me.  The dusty old grey trees became a burnished brown, and the branches seemed to lift towards the sun, as if praise-filled, or perhaps as an old Ent, lifting his face to seek warmth.  


 

In front of me, unwatched for a few critical moments, the sun rose in a wash of color, for only a few moments, and then drifted up into the clouds to hide its face.  

                       


4 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

Your landscape has considerable similarity to ours in south-central Kentucky. I look at your header photo and think, 'was it really only weeks ago that we enjoyed the golden light of October?'

Kim said...

It was just a few weeks ago, wasn’t it? I didn’t realize the mountains ran into Kentucky’s central region...I thought it stayed east? I actually live at the foot of the northernmost part of the Blue Ridge, South Mountain. I love my gentle old mountain, not brash and loud like the Rockies or the Sierras. Those are stunning and grand, lovely to visit and do the geology, but my mountain seems to sing me to sleep at night, it hums to me all day. Have you some of the Appalachians there? Aren’t they wonderful?

Morning's Minion said...

The Appalachians are mostly east of us--we don't so much have mountains as a hilly terrain of ridges, ravines and 'hollers.' Traveling west to the other side of Adair county, the landscape begins to flatten out with larger open fields and wider valleys.
Eastern Kentucky reminds me of West Virginia--those tiny hamlets with the front doors on the road and a stream running through a narrow back yard reared up against a dark mountain.

Kim said...

What a lovely image!

Almost Summer, Winter is A-coming.

The day began early with a ride north for a little minor surgery.  The sun was up before we left, but not before we rose.  The sky was a won...